Local Energy Networks
We can provide the capacity and knowledge needed to assist local authorities with:
Planning Policy Support
- Advise on the use of planning policy as an enabler for district heating and cooling, supporting in energy statement evaluation and developer negotiation meetings.
- Support you to design and implement effective planning policy to enable the growth of heat networks and engage positively with local developers, including amending existing policies and drafting new policies from scratch.
Financial & Commercial Modelling
- Use our comprehensive decentralised energy discounted cash flow models tailored to local authority financial departments which have been constructed based on our support provided to over 20 local authority projects.
- Help identify a wide range of investment options, including alternate sources of finances such as crowd-funding and community energy financing.
Commercial and business model advice
- Help local authorities and public sector bodies to select appropriate business models and governance structures.
- Provide independent advice on procurement routes and help you understand how this can drive the delivery of your strategic objectives.
Practical, procurement, and project management support
- Develop and write tender specifications, advise on suppliers, and evaluate tenders and study outputs.
- Support local authorities to engage with the district heating market in the UK and internationally.
- Project manage Heat Mapping, Energy Masterplanning and Techno-Economic studies, supervising and quality assuring all outputs from technical consultants.
- Provide practical, hands-on support running workshops and deliver light touch strategic advice.
Technical quality assurance
- Provide technical quality assurance of outputs from technical consultants and advice on the next steps following each project stage, helping local authorities avoid consultant-dependency.
Verifying carbon savings
- Help local governments to assess and verify the carbon impact of existing or planned decentralised energy schemes, as well as providing advice on the most energy efficient and low carbon options.
- Help network owners identify and understand the factors affecting network performance and how its operating characteristics compare to networks with similar characteristics and scale.
We can support you through each of the 10 steps in the decentralised energy project development process.
The Carbon Trust has already successfully provided similar support to local authorities around the UK, including: