There is a global movement of local authorities declaring climate emergencies. Declarations have been made in over 20 countries, by local authorities representing around 290 million people.
The challenge, however, is turning these declarations into credible and robust action and implementation plans.
Drawing on almost two decades of experience of working with public sector organisations around the world, we can help your organisation move forward with delivery.
How we can help
We can work with you across a number of areas, including:
- Scoping assessments and footprinting
- Setting robust science-based, net zero and carbon neutral targets
- Development of carbon reduction pathways and quantifying the associated environmental, social and economic impacts
- Designing effective governance structures and implementing stakeholder engagement strategies
- Action planning to accelerate the implementation of climate strategies through detailed business case development, project management, procurement support and monitoring
- Understanding climate change adaptation and resilience
By working collaboratively with your organisation, we can identify the essential steps that are needed in order to develop and deliver viable, credible carbon reduction strategies. We’ve supported more than 3,000 public sector organisations to shape their approach to climate action planning and deliver positive outcomes for their communities.
We also help cities and regions to raise their ambition on climate action, set evidence-based targets and implement net zero action plans.
We support public sector organisations tackle the following areas, which we know can be particularly challenging when seeking to achieve net zero ambitions:
Net zero climate action plans
Our framework for the development of net zero climate strategies and action plans with public bodies has supported the development of more than 30 net zero climate strategies and action plans with local authorities and the wider public sector across the UK and internationally.
The framework encompasses key elements for creating a critical path to net zero, including:
- initial scoping and definition of aims/vision
- footprinting and establishing an emissions baseline
- science-based target setting and scenario modelling to establish pathways to achieving targets
- action plan development and implementation
- monitoring and evaluation to map progress
Measuring and managing Scope 3 emissions
Up to 90% of an organisation’s carbon impact lies outside its immediate sphere of control – from areas such as the procurement of good and services, capital construction projects and investments.
Our footprinting experts can take you through the fundamentals of Scope 3 emissions categories, including the different methods for measuring Scope 3 emissions, to make sure you are getting most out of your data collection efforts. We can then support the development of a supply chain engagement strategy to help your partners to decarbonise.
Implementation of climate strategies
Has your organisation already set climate targets and is now considering how to achieve them? Our experts can help to develop and support your implementation work by:
- helping you to prioritise projects
- creating frameworks with clear specifications for tackling climate change
- supporting your engagement with contractors to minimise carbon emissions
- quantifying carbon savings and support your ongoing monitoring and reporting
Understanding climate change adaptation
Our experts can help your local authority map its vulnerabilities to the rapidly changing climate and integrate adaptation into local decision-making to future-proof your investments. We can help you to:
- build the business case for adaptation action
- understand your exposure to climate risk
- embed adaptation into your decision-making processes