Website Terms & Conditions of Use
The Carbon Trust is an independent, private, limited by guarantee company registered at 4th Floor, Dorset House, 27-45 Stamford Street, London SE1 9NT, UK, with registered number 04190230 (VAT no. 868049388). The Carbon Trust group makes this Site available to enhance public and customer access to information about its business, activities, products and services.
2. Ownership of Content
The Site and all its contents including, but not limited to, the text, Site (as well as the organisation and layout of the Site), design, logos, graphics, icons and images (the "Content") are owned and copyrighted by the Carbon Trust or others (including our licensors) with all rights reserved unless otherwise stated. All trade marks, copyright, database rights, design rights, patents and other intellectual property rights (together "the Rights") in the Content and the Rights in any software or underlying software code that is made available for download from the Site ("Software") are owned by us or our licensors or are otherwise used by us as permitted by applicable law.
3. Your use of the Site
The Carbon Trust hereby grants you permission to use the Site as follows:
- except where purchasing any publications (in which case our conditions of sale will apply) you may download the Content, but only for informational, non-commercial, non-profitable and personal use and provided that you do not remove, adapt, alter or obscure any of the information, Content or notices (such as copyright and other proprietary notices) contained in the Content. You may not (without the prior written permission of the Carbon Trust or in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended) copy, reproduce, republish, download, post, broadcast, store in any medium (including in any other website), transmit, re-transmit, make available to the public, or otherwise use the Content (including, but not limited to, "caching" any material on the Site for access by third parties or "mirroring" any material on the Site) in any way except for your own personal, non-commercial use. Any other use of the Content or the Site requires the prior written permission of the Carbon Trust;
- content within the "News & Insights", "Events" and/ "Press" sections of the Site may be reproduced solely for editorial purposes in daily newspapers, general circulation news magazines, trade publications and broadcast media;
- you may not distribute, modify, copy (except as set out herein), transmit, display, reuse, reproduce, publish, licence, create derivative works from, transfer, sell or otherwise use Content without the Carbon Trust's prior written permission;
- you may not create a database in electronic or structured manual form by systematically downloading and storing any Content on the Site;
- you are responsible for complying with local laws and regulations of the jurisdiction from which you access this Site. This Site should not be accessed in any jurisdiction where for any reason the publication or availability of this Site is prohibited. The Carbon Trust does not warrant or represent that this Site complies with laws in all jurisdictions. If you are in doubt, you should seek legal advice and if necessary, terminate your use of this Site immediately;
- you are prohibited from using the Site to advertise or perform any commercial solicitation;
- you are prohibited from posting or transmitting to or from this Site, any material for which you have not obtained all necessary licences or approvals or which is technically harmful (including; without limitation, computer viruses, logic bombs, Trojan horses, worms, harmful components, corrupted data or other malicious software or harmful data);
- you may not misuse the Site (including, without limitation, by (i) hacking; (ii) defacing, altering or interfering with the front end 'look and feel' of this Site; (iii) obtaining or attempting to obtain unauthorised access (via whatever means) to any of our networks; (iv) by taking any action that imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on this Site or related infrastructure; or by (v) using any software, routine or device to interfere or attempt to interfere electronically or manually with the operation or functionality of this Site (including but not limited to uploading or making available files containing corrupt data or viruses via whatever means));
- responsibility for your keeping secure any passwords issued rests with you;
- you are solely responsible for any information you post to any forums or discussions hosted on the Site and you warrant that any such information is non-confidential and non-proprietary;
- you agree that any information posted on forums or discussions hosted on the Site will not be false, unlawful, misleading, libelous, defamatory, obscene or indecent, nor any information that may infringe the rights of any third party; and
- you retain ownership of your content but you hereby grant us a limited licence to use, store and copy that content and to distribute and make it available to third parties.
If on registration to any of our services or products on the Site (or on amendment of your registration details) you provide us with an email address or contact details that may result in any emails we send you or contact we make with you being via a computer network or other facility provided or operated by or on behalf of your employer, educational establishment or other third party, then by so doing you are warranting that you are entitled to receive emails to that address and such other contacts. You also agree that we may stop sending any emails to such address without notifying you, even if you have subscribed to receive them or any other service, if we receive a request from your employer, educational establishment or other third party to stop sending emails to that address.
If you purchase any publications (or other items) from the Site you may complete your transaction using a debit card, credit card or by PayPal. We do not store credit card details nor do we share customer details with third parties.
5. Access restriction
The Carbon Trust reserves the right in its sole discretion to suspend or permanently block your access to this Site or any portion of it without prior notice.
The Content on this Site may include inaccuracies or typographical errors. If errors are brought to our attention, we will try to correct them. Please use the feedback form to notify us of any errors. The Carbon Trust reserves the right to make changes periodically to this Site at any time and without notice. However, the Carbon Trust makes no commitment to regularly update the information contained on this Site. While the Carbon Trust has made reasonable efforts to ensure that the information contained within the Site is accurate, you should be aware that the information it contains may be incomplete, incorrect, or may have become out of date. In addition, while it is our goal to minimise disruption caused by technical errors, the Carbon Trust does not guarantee that this Site (or your access to it) will operate uninterrupted or error-free, that defects will be periodically corrected or that it is compatible with your computer, hardware or software.
The information, advice and opinions expressed in this Site are of a general nature only and are not intended to address the specific circumstances of any particular individual or entity. It should not be relied upon for personal, legal, financial or other reasons or decisions. If you need specific advice, you should consult the Carbon Trust or another suitably qualified professional for advice tailored to your situation.
Please note that it cannot be guaranteed that a document available on-line exactly reproduces an officially adopted text or publication. Only original hard copy materials obtained from the Carbon Trust should be deemed authentic.
THE CARBON TRUST HAS USED REASONABLE CARE AND SKILL IN RELATION TO THE CONTENT IN THIS SITE. HOWEVER, ALL CONTENT (INCLUDING THE INFORMATION, NAMES, IMAGES, PICTURES, LOGOS AND ICONS REGARDING OR RELATING TO EACH AND ANY OF THE CARBON TRUST, ITS PRODUCTS AND SERVICES (OR TO THIRD PARTY PRODUCTS AND SERVICES)) AND ALL PUBLICATIONS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE AND ARE PROVIDED TO YOU ON AN "AS IS" AND ON AN "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS. THE CARBON TRUST DOES NOT AND SHALL NOT BE DEEMED TO MAKE ANY GUARANTEES, REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER (WHETHER EXPRESS OR IN ANY WAY IMPLIED) TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IN RELATION TO THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, COMPREHENSIVENESS, METHOD OR QUALITY OF COMPILATION, PREPARATION OR PRODUCTION, SUITABILITY, MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR ANY PURPOSE OR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NON-INFRINGEMENT OF ANY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY OR LAW, COMPATIBILITY, SECURITY OF THE CONTENT AND/OR THE SITE NOR THAT EITHER THE CONTENT OR THE SITE IS UP TO DATE. Please note that some jurisdictions may not allow the exclusion of implied warranties, so some of the above exclusions may not apply to you. Without limiting the foregoing, the Carbon Trust neither warrants nor represents that your use of any Content will not infringe the rights of any third parties.
The Carbon Trust shall not have any liability or responsibility whatsoever and howsoever arising for any information provided OR not provided on this Site nor for the failure of or defects in any of our services offered on this Site, including but not limited to provision of information about our campaigns (such as our strategic campaign to manage the business impact of climate change; our operational campaign to cut carbon emissions and costs; and our campaign to make a personal difference). Information provided by third parties for use on the site (including through forums or discussions) is done so without any verification by the Carbon Trust and no liability whatsoever is accepted by the Carbon Trust in respect of such information. Any opinions expressed by third parties on this Site are not necessarily the opinions of the Carbon Trust. Your use of the Site is at your own risk.
7. Exclusion of liability
YOUR USE OF THE SITE (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION YOUR DOWNLOADING OF ANY SOFTWARE OR DATA) IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE CARBON TRUST DOES NOT HAVE AND SHALL NOT BE DEEMED TO HAVE ANY LIABILITY OR RESPONSIBILITY WHATSOEVER AND HOWSOVER ARISING IN RELATION TO EITHER THE CONTENT OR THE SITE AND, WITHOUT LIMITING THE GENERALITY OF THE FOREGOING, SHALL NOT HAVE OR BE DEEMED TO HAVE ANY LIABILITY OR RESPONSIBILITY WHATSOEVER IN RELATION TO EACH OR ANY OF THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, COMPREHENSIVENESS, METHOD OR QUALITY OF COMPILATION, PREPARATION OR PRODUCTION, SUITABILITY, MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR ANY PURPOSE OR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NON-INFRINGEMENT OF ANY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY OR LAW, COMPATIBILITY, SECURITY OF THE CONTENT AND/OR THE SITE NOR THAT EITHER THE CONTENT OR THE SITE IS UP TO DATE.
IF YOUR USE OF MATERIAL ON THIS SITE RESULTS IN THE NEED FOR SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION OF EQUIPMENT, SOFTWARE OR DATA, YOU ASSUME ALL COSTS THEREOF.
IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH ANY PORTION OF THIS SITE YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY IS TO DISCONTINUE USING IT.
8. Our losses
9. Links to third party web sites
The Site may contain links to websites owned or operated by parties other than the Carbon Trust. Such links are provided for your convenience only. If you use these links, you may leave the Site or, alternatively, the link and third party website content may be framed within this Site. The Carbon Trust has not reviewed all of these third party websites or such framed content, and does not control, and is not responsible for their operation nor for the content on or privacy policies on, or the security of, such websites. Without limiting the foregoing, the Carbon Trust specifically disclaims and shall not have or be deemed to have any responsibility if such websites:
- infringe any third party's intellectual property rights;
- are inaccurate, incomplete or misleading;
- are not merchantable or fit for a particular purpose;
- do not provide adequate security;
- contain viruses or other items of a destructive nature; or
- are libellous or defamatory.
The Carbon Trust also does not endorse or make any representations about the content or any products or services available on such websites or any results which may be obtained by using them. The Carbon Trust shall not be assumed to be associated with the operators or administrators of such websites and is not responsible for them. If you access such websites or establish a link to such websites or the Site, you do so at your own risk and without the permission or deemed permission of the Carbon Trust.
10. Linking to this Site
If you provide hyperlinks to the home page of this Site (but not to other pages within this Site), you agree that you:
- may link to, but may not replicate, any Content;
- shall not frame or otherwise create a browser or border environment around any Content;
- shall not imply that the Carbon Trust is endorsing you or your products or services;
- shall not misrepresent you or your website's relationship with the Carbon Trust;
- shall not present false, misleading or inaccurate information about the Carbon Trust or the Carbon Trust's products or services on your website or otherwise disparage or denigrate the Carbon Trust's products or services;
- shall not use the Carbon Trust's logos, trade marks, service marks or suchlike without express prior written permission from the carbon Trust;
- shall not include content on your website that is or could be construed as illegal, distasteful, offensive or controversial, which infringes any intellectual property rights or other rights of any person or otherwise does not comply with all applicable laws and regulations and you shall include on your website only content that is appropriate for all age groups;
- shall not remove or obscure any of the information, Content or notices contained on the Site;
- shall not link the Site to a website that is not owned by you;
- shall inform the Carbon Trust in writing of the link; and
- shall immediately discontinue the link if instructed to do so by the Carbon Trust.
11. Products and services available on this Site and third party websites linked to this Site
Certain publications are available for purchase. Where you are purchasing any publications (or other items) from our Site, our conditions of sale will apply to your purchase.
The Carbon Trust is an independent company limited by guarantee that is registered as a data controller and operates in accordance with the UK Data Protection Act 1998. The Carbon Trust is committed to preserving the privacy of all visitors to the following domains:
2. Information that we collect about you
The information collected about you may include but is not limited to:
- information provided when filling in forms on our Site or by corresponding with us by phone, email or otherwise – this includes information you provide when you register to use our Site, subscribe to our service, search for a product, place an order or request a product on our Site, participate in discussion boards or other social media functions on our Site, enter a competition, promotion or survey, and when you report a problem with our site. The information you give us may include your salutation, name, address, landline or mobile telephone numbers, fax number and email address;
- company name, job title, business sector and contact details;
- details of the ways in which you are happy to receive information from us and/or selected third parties;
- information collected for us to send information packs about campaigns; and
- information collected for us to send information about our energy efficiency related services and products.
- Information we receive from other sources - We may receive information about you if you use any of the other websites we operate or the other services we provide. We are also working closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies) and may receive information about you from them.
The Carbon Trust may also:
- require you to provide or select a user ID and password for the use of some of our programmes or services, such as when you register to gain access to our web tools and publications or to use online forums;
- offer you the opportunity to receive email updates and announcements concerning our services, products programmes and activities. Personal information you have provided to us may be used to facilitate those communications;
- collect information about you from emails, letters, telephone calls or from any other communications you send to or have with us, including for the purpose of informing you about our services and products;
- collect additional information automatically about your visit to our Site, including your IP address, the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our Site (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our customer service number;
- the Carbon Trust encourages visitors to its Site to contact it with questions and comments. Email addresses and other information in relation to persons so doing may also be collected in order to facilitate our responses to those enquiries or to inform you about our services and products.
In order to purchase any publications/items from the Site, you may pay by debit card, credit card or be re-directed to use PayPal. We do not store credit card details nor do we share customer details with any third parties.
You will find that it is not compulsory to provide us with any additional information we request which is not necessary or reasonable in order to provide you with the services or products you have requested. Furthermore, please note that our policy is not to ask for sensitive personal data - that is, data relating to: race or ethnic origin; political opinion; religious or other similar beliefs; trade union membership; physical or mental health; sexual orientation; criminal records. We recommend that you do not provide such information to us. If you choose to do so for any reason, this will mean that you have given (and we accept) your explicit consent for us to use that information for the reasons described in this Policy, or as explained at the time you provide the information.
3. Use of information collected
Information that we collect automatically is not used to personally identify you and instead is aggregated to measure the number of visits, average time spent on the Site, pages viewed, etc. We use this information for system administration, to prepare statistics on the use of our Site and to improve its content. We may also use aggregated and average information for the purpose of preparing and displaying the results of polls conducted through forums hosted on the Site.
When other personal information, such as your name and email address, is collected from you with your consent (for example, through the use of online forms or via email etc.) we generally let you know at the time of collection how we will use that personal information.
We may also use the personal information we have collected from you or which we collect about you via this Site for the purposes of:
- providing any publications, information or other services or products that you have requested from us or permitting you to gain access to our web tools and publications;
- responding to your enquiries or to process your requests in relation to your information;
- carrying out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and providing and personalising our services and/or products generally;
- providing you with information about other goods and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about;
- account management and/or administering records of our subscription services;
- promotion of the Carbon Trust and its programmes, including carrying out market research campaigns (e.g. on the effectiveness of the services or products);
- maintaining information as a reference tool or general resource;
- making the Site easier for you to use and providing you with access to all parts of the Site;
- helping you to quickly find services, products and information on the Site;
- providing information to you about our services and products; and
- where necessary, crime prevention and prosecution of offenders.
Except with your permission or as provided herein, the Carbon Trust will not sell, trade or rent personal information about you to unaffiliated third parties.
We also use and disclose information in aggregate (so that no individuals are identified) for marketing and strategic development purposes or use and analyse the information we collect so that we can administer, support, improve and develop our business.
We may use your information to contact you for your views on our services and products and to notify you occasionally about important changes or developments to the Site or our services or products. Further we might also use your information to contact you by post, telephone or email (unless you have expressly requested us not to do so) to let you know about other products and services which we offer and which may be of interest to you or which are offered jointly with or on behalf of other organisations.
You will always be offered the opportunity to opt-out of future direct marketing from the Carbon Trust should you not wish to receive it. If you change your mind about being contacted in the future, please let us know by emailing us at email@example.com.
We may share your personal information with any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
We may also:
- disclose personal information you have provided through our Site to persons or companies that we retain to carry out promotions and other activities for which you have registered or in which you have otherwise asked to participate;
- pass aggregate information on the usage of our Site (e.g. we might disclose the numbers of visitors to our Site that come from different geographic areas) to third parties but this will not include information that can be used to identify you personally;
- allow carefully selected third parties to contact you occasionally about our programmes, services or products which may be of interest to you (unless you have "opted out" of this when completing a form or registration or have otherwise expressly requested us not to do so), including in respect of our energy efficiency related services and publications. They may contact you by post, telephone and email. If you change your mind about being contacted by these companies in the future, please let us or them know;
- disclose personal information we have collected about you to third parties if we are under a duty to disclose personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or where it is necessary in order for us to enforce the terms of any contract or agreement entered into with you;
- disclose personal information we have collected about you to credit reference agencies for the purposes of assessing your credit score where this is a condition of us entering into a contract with you;
- finally, if our business enters into a joint venture with or is sold to or merged with another business entity, your information may be disclosed to our new business partners or owners.
Unless required to do so by law, we will not otherwise share, sell or distribute any of the information you provide to us without your consent.
You should also note that the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk.
6. Users 16 and under
If you are aged 16 or under, please get your parent or guardian's permission before you provide any personal information to us. Users without this consent are not allowed to provide us with personal information.
7. Other websites
8. Data retention, security of information collected, internet based transfers and disclaimer
We (and our third party suppliers) will retain your information for a reasonable period or as long as the law requires. In accordance with the UK's Data Protection Act 1998, we employ strict physical, electronic and administrative security measures to protect your information from access by unauthorised persons and against unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction and damage both online and off-line.
Given that the Internet is a global environment, using the Internet to collect and process personal information necessarily involves the transmission of data on an international basis. Therefore by browsing this Site and communicating electronically with us, you acknowledge and agree to our processing of personal information in this way.
Whereas the Carbon Trust employs reasonable measures to protect against viruses and other harmful components and to keep information secure, the nature of the internet is such that it is impossible to ensure that your access to the Site will be uninterrupted or error-free, or that this Site, its servers or emails which may be sent by us are free of viruses or other harmful components and/or that hacking or wrongful obtaining of data by unauthorised third parties cannot happen..
The contents of this Site are designed to comply with the general obligations of the European Directives on Data Protection and E-Privacy. We cannot be responsible for non-compliance with any non-UK advertising or other laws in relation to this Site or its contents.
9. Accessing and updating
Under the Data Protection Act 1998, you are entitled to see the personal information we hold about you and you may ask us to make any necessary changes to ensure that it is accurate and kept up to date. If you wish to correct or update the personal information that you have provided to us or if you choose to opt out of any communications that you may have initially agreed to receive, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, by using the unsubscribe link offered by email following registration (where relevant) or by using the contact details provided at the Contact Us page on the Site. We are entitled by law to charge a small administrative fee to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you and we may require proof of your identity before we supply the information to you.
10. Contacting Us
11. Changes to this Policy