Introduction to Energy Networks
Network companies manage and operate the electricity and gas transmission and distribution infrastructure, ensuring safe and reliable energy is delivered to homes and businesses across GB. Network operators are also essential in facilitating the integration of low carbon technologies on our energy system, ensuring that future networks are smarter and more flexible.
The webinar will include:
- An overview and introduction to the GB energy sector and its transition to net-zero.
- The structure of the GB’s energy network industry, including the roles and responsibilities of the transmission and distribution network operators.
Policy and Regulation
To achieve Net Zero, we need to ensure that energy networks remain resilient and cost effective. This requires a coordinated and coherent policy and regulatory framework that can support innovation, investment, competition and consumer protection in the network sector.
This webinar will include:
- An introduction to the main policy makers (e.g., DESNZ) and regulatory bodies (e.g., Ofgem) and their remits.
- Current policy drivers to innovation in the energy sector.
- An overview of the key challenges that are driving the policy and regulatory direction and how they shape network companies' strategic priorities.
- The implications (challenges and opportunities) of new policy and regulatory initiatives in GB, such as the review of electricity market arrangements (REMA) and RIIO-ED2, on network operator innovation priorities.
Market Access and Commercialisation
To develop investment ready businesses, innovators need to think beyond their innovation projects to commercial procurement and scale in their addressable markets.
This webinar will include:
- Assessing suitable routes to markets within the energy network sector.
- What the innovation to commercialisation journey looks like within an energy network.
- Examples of successful innovations that are now incorporated into an energy networks ‘business as usual’ operations.
Innovation Support and Funding
Network innovation is essential in ensuring GBs future energy networks are fit for net-zero. However, with many different support schemes, funding rounds and government grants, it can often be challenging to know what support is available to turn technical ideas into scalable, successful businesses.
In this webinar, you will hear from experts and practitioners who will share their insights and experiences on the various sources of innovation support available to you, such as:
- The Strategic Innovation Fund, a programme that provides funding for projects that address key challenges in heat, transport, data and system integration.
- Innovation Link, a service that offers fast and frank feedback and regulatory sandbox trials for energy-related innovations.
- Innovation Edge, a programme that helps early-stage innovators with coaching, mentoring, networking and funding opportunities.
- The Net Zero Innovation Portfolio, the UK government’s the £1 billion fund to accelerate the commercialisation of low-carbon technologies, systems and business models in power, buildings, and industry.
- Other support available from the Department for Energy Security and Net Zero (DESNZ), a new governmental department that drives the UK's net zero agenda and supports clean growth, innovation and trade in the energy sector.