Where do I start?
- Get a quotation from your supplier of the estimated running cost for the proposal
- Download and complete the loan calculator to see how much we can offer you
- If you would like to proceed, ask your supplier to complete the energy saving calculator
- Check 'how to tick all the boxes' to ensure you have all of the right documents
If you haven’t yet selected an equipment supplier for your project, try our Green Business Directory for a list of accredited suppliers working in your area. Please note that it is your responsibility to select and be satisfied with a supplier’s expertise, standing, reliability and competence. We also suggest that you seek a variety of quotes from different suppliers from which to select the most appropriate offer.
Get in touch
Is my business eligible?
To apply for an interest-free loan, your business must meet the following criteria:
- be a private sector SME in Wales
- have been trading for the minimum period (limited company 12 months, unincorporated company 36 months)
- have an acceptable credit history
- project replaces existing equipment, and makes on-site fossil fuel savings
- be eligible for funding within the context of de minimis state aid regulations
We can support most projects where there is a carbon emissions saving such as commercial refrigeration and lighting. For more examples and further information see our application guide.
Check your eligibility
What other support is available for SMEs?
The Green Business Fund is dedicated to supporting small to medium sized organisations (SMEs) in England, Scotland and Wales, and providing opportunities to improve energy efficiency and reduce energy costs.
Energy assessment and implementation advice
Fully funded energy assessments at no cost to your business are offered to help identify areas for energy and cost savings. This service is provided either remotely (via telephone and email) or in person on-site, depending on your location and energy spend. Implementation advice and equipment procurement support helps any organisation with fewer than 1000 employees find reputable suppliers and gather quotes for specific projects. Apply now
The fund offers two-hour workshops for small companies across England and Wales to learn how to identify and implement opportunities to reduce energy costs within their business and how to access further services from the Green Business Fund. Find out more
A series of free technical webinars covering a wide range of energy topics. Delivered by a Carbon Trust expert, these interactive webinars last approximately 45 minutes to an hour with the opportunity to ask specific questions. Sign up
Download one of our free and impartial guides to help reduce your organisation's carbon footprint. The guides give expert advice on energy efficient technology and renewable energy, as well as sector-based advice covering retail, hospitality, manufacturing, and many more. Go to the Green Business page to find out more
Measuring, manage and reduce your carbon emissions and energy costs. Our carbon footprint calculator, energy benchmarking and business case tools are designed specifically for small to medium sized businesses:
What's the supplier's role?
- Applications MUST be done by the customer: if they require any support, the loans team are available Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm
- If your customer has already purchased, or placed an order for, any equipment, we are unable to provide funding towards their project
- We prefer a project to payback in five years, but if it doesn’t, we may still be able to provide some funding towards it
- Customers can apply more than once, up to the maximum loan amount
Your customer will be asked to provide supporting documentation for their application relating to the project and their business, as listed in our leaflet ‘What We Need’.
You need to provide them with the following:
Read more here:
The Suppliers Role (pdf)